Wednesday, March 18, 2009

"Good Things"

"For the LORD God is a sun and shield: the LORD will give grace and glory: no good thing will he withhold from them that walk uprightly." Psalm 84:11

When we think of "good" things, we often think of money, finances, material things. And they are "good" things when they meet the need that we have. But there are so many more "good" things that God gives us that are so much better than just the material blessings. They are often things we take for granted like mercy. Mercy is a good thing- without it none of us would have a chance for freedom from sin. Grace is a good thing- it empowers us to live what God's law requires. Peace is a good thing- how wonderful to have peace instead of chaos and confusion. Joy is a good thing- it's so much better than gloom, despair and depression. Other good things that we often take for granted are health, guidance in times of decision, strength in times of weakness, insight and understanding, discernment to see the truth of a matter, power to resist the temptations that come our way.

I am truly thankful for the material blessings that God sends my way, but I never want to put more emphasis on those and forget the other good things that aren't "tangible". Perhaps we need to look a little closer at how we define "good"? Many people are "rich" in material possessions, but "poor" in the things that are truly "priceless". Many people have large sums of wealth but have no peace. Many people have great possessions but have no joy. When I need money to pay my light bill, that money is a "good" thing. But when I need strength for the battles I face, that strength is a "good" thing too. And God gives to me the "good" thing that I need to meet whatever the need is as I walk uprightly before Him.

Have a great day. How do you define "good"? A good thing is anything that meets the need I have-- whether it's material or spiritual.

No comments: