Friday, July 24, 2015

"How Would God Act?"

"And the Lord passed by before him, and proclaimed, The Lord, The Lord God, merciful and gracious, longsuffering, and abundant in goodness and truth, keeping mercy for thousands, forgiving iniquity and transgression and sin, and that will by no means clear the guilty; visiting the iniquity of the fathers upon the children, and upon the children's children, unto the third and to the fourth generation."  Exodus 34:6,7

Recently, I had a situation to arise and I knew my attitude was wrong in it.  I didn't "sin openly", but I knew the way I was "acting inside" was wrong and not pleasing to the Lord.  When I later went to Him with a request, I was feeling so badly about my thoughts concerning the situation, that as I was asking for His help I said to Him, "If I were You I wouldn't do it."  Without missing a beat He immediately replied back to me, "If you were Me, you would."

I might not be quick to forgive when asked for my forgiveness.  I might not be compassionate toward an enemy.  I might not be understanding when someone is hurting.  I might not withhold revenge.  I might not want to embrace a foe.  I might not always show love and kindness, especially to one who has hurt me.  But God isn't like me... THANKFULLY!  He doesn't hold a grudge.  He doesn't try to get even.  He doesn't keep taunting you with your mistakes.  You may not deserve His forgiveness, but He will not withhold it.  The Bible says He is ready to forgive.  You may not deserve His blessing, especially when you have done something wrong, but He gives it to you anyway-- it's called grace. 

If we were Him, we would do what He does.  But we are not Him and often don't respond the same way He does-- with love, mercy, compassion, forgiveness, tenderness and grace.  But if we are His children through faith in Jesus Christ, shouldn't we respond in the same way He does when faced with the opportunity to do so?  Isn't that what Christian (Christ-like) means?

Have a great day.  Thankfully, God doesn't act like we act.  
 

<>< <>< <>< <>< <>< <>< <>< <>< <>< <>< <>< <>< 
Coffee Break is a morning devotional written by Lorraine Ezell
and is sent to you free of charge for the asking from
About the Master's Business Ministry, Inc.
Please feel free to
call (601) 833-5278 or
Email
:  mastersbusiness@bellsouth.net
Visit us on the web:  www.mastersbusiness.org    

 

No comments: