Thursday, July 9, 2015

"Change Your Prayers"

"After this manner therefore pray ye: Our Father which art in heaven, Hallowed be thy name.  Thy kingdom come, Thy will be done in earth, as it is in heaven."  Matthew 6:9,10

Jesus taught us to pray-- "Thy kingdom come, Thy will be done".  He did not teach us to pray selfish, self-centered prayers that are consumed with getting our lusts and desires met.  He did teach us to pray a "modest" prayer for our needs, but not for our wants.

I believe this is one of the reasons we are seeing so much "evil" running rampant in our society.  The church changed her prayer focus.  For many years, including a whole generation of Christians, we have prayed "prosperity prayers".  Our prayers have been centered around "blessing me".  They have been centered around my "wants".  Our prayers have been focused on the receiving of material things.  We have prayed for bigger houses, more money, new cars, luxuries, riches, etc. 

Our prayer focus must change.  It must be taken off of "self" and placed on "the Kingdom".  When was the last time you prayed for those in authority?  When was the last time you prayed for the removal of unjust judges?  When was the last time you prayed for your bosses' salvation?  For your lost family members?  When was the last time you prayed for your enemies?  When was the last time you grabbed ahold of the horns of the altar and prayed for your nation?  When was the last time you prayed for the Lord to convict and change self-serving pastors?  When was the last time you prayed that the abortion doctors would get saved and stop killing innocent babies?  When was the last time you prayed for your brothers and sisters who are being persecuted and imprisoned for the gospel in other countries?  Do you ever pray for your neighbor?  Do you pray for revival in the land?     

The prayers we pray for ourselves should look more like this:  Change me, Lord.  Transform me until others see Jesus in me.  Enlighten the eyes of my understanding so that I might see the hope of Your calling.  Help me to discern both good and evil.  Help me to take up my cross and follow You.  Help me to decrease so that You might increase.  Help me to be a living sacrifice and humble myself before Your mighty hand.  Make me an instrument to show forth Your righteousness.  Help me to possess my body in honor unto you.  Make me holy.  Give me my needs today and what is sufficient for me. 

If we don't change our prayer focus voluntarily we will be focused to change it by conditions that continue to deteriorate around us.  And the deteriorating conditions around us are a result of a changed prayer focus-- from the Kingdom to self.

Have a great day.  What kind of prayers do you pray?  Self-centered or Kingdom centered? 

 
<>< <>< <>< <>< <>< <>< <>< <>< <>< <>< <>< <>< 
Coffee Break is a morning devotional written by Lorraine Ezell
and is sent to you free of charge for the asking from
About the Master's Business Ministry, Inc.
Please feel free to
call (601) 833-5278 or
Email
:  mastersbusiness@bellsouth.net
Visit us on the web:

No comments: