Wednesday, December 16, 2015

"Holiday Or Christmas?"

"And she brought forth her firstborn son, and wrapped him in swaddling clothes, and laid him in a manger; because there was no room for them in the inn".  Luke 2:7

There has been a concern over the past few years that has caused many to be upset.  It is the removal of the word "Christmas" during this time of year.  Instead we are told to call it "Holiday".  I am among those who don't like the fact that it is being changed.  I know their true reason behind it is to remove the Lord from every facet of life and society.  But I have been giving some thought to the subject and perhaps it is more appropriate to call it holiday instead of Christmas.  (Please hear me out.)

Over ninety percent of what we do at Christmas time has nothing to do with the true meaning-- which is the birth of Christ.  The tree, the decorations, Santa Claus, mistletoe, even many of our songs, etc. have nothing to do with the birth of Jesus.  We have "spiritualized" them to make them represent something religious, but they don't-- at least not His birth. 

The point that I am getting to is this-- for those who are not going to celebrate its true meaning, for those who are more interested in the materialistic end of their celebration, to those who put more emphasis on the commercialized part, to those who are not recognizing Jesus' birth, then they actually have it right-- it is a "holiday".  If Christ is left out all you have is another holiday to celebrate and enjoy.

For me, I will be saying, "Merry Christmas", because my focus is on the true meaning.  I will be celebrating the birth of my Savior.  I will be rejoicing in the fact that the Son of God was born in a manger to save me from my sins.  Having said that let me say this-- I do have decorations around my home, but my emphasis is on the birth of Jesus.  I could take them all down today and I would still be celebrating this blessed event.  

So, when people are calling it "holidays" instead of "Christmas", they may not be wrong, they may be calling it exactly what it is to them.  If they aren't celebrating Jesus' birth, then for them it is a holiday.  But I am celebrating His birth, so it is Christmas to me.

Have a great day.  If you are celebrating the birth of Jesus, then it is Christmas.  If you aren't, then it is just another holiday.       
 

<>< <>< <>< <>< <>< <>< <>< <>< <>< <>< <>< <><
Coffee Break is a morning devotional written by Lorraine Ezell
and is sent to you free of charge for the asking from
About the Master's Business Ministry, Inc.
Please feel free to
call (601) 833-5278 or
Email
: mastersbusiness@bellsouth.net
Visit us on the web:
 

No comments: