Tuesday, December 1, 2015

"Counting Your Failures"

"There is therefore now no condemnation to them which are in Christ Jesus, who walk not after the flesh, but after the Spirit."  Romans 8:1

You may be familiar with an old hymn entitled, "Count Your Blessings".  It says to count your many blessings and see what God has done.  Sadly, instead of counting their blessings and all the wonderful things that God has done for them, some people count their mistakes and failures.  They spend time rehearsing and rehashing all the things they have done wrong, all the times they have failed and all the things that they should have done differently. 

None of us have always done everything right-- even since we have been a Christian.  I know I haven't.  I have made so many mistakes.  I have failed in many areas of my life.  I didn't always do everything right when it came to raising my daughter-- I failed in so many ways.  I haven't always been a perfect wife-- I have made numerous mistakes.  I haven't been a "perfect" Christian every day.  I have had times when I should have said and done things differently.  I have had my "should of, could of, would of" times.  There have been times when I let others down-- including family and friends.  I have many regrets in my life concerning things I did and things I didn't do.  We all have.

When you stop and think about the mistakes you have made, it is easy for regret to overwhelm you.  It is an open door for the enemy to heap condemnation on you.  It can bring remorse and distress to your heart.  It leads you down a path of self-pity.  It tries to put you in a state of depression.  None of us can change the past or rarely ever be able to correct the wrongs we have done.  We can't travel back in time and do it over again.  We can't go back and do it differently-- no matter how much we wish we could.  But what we can do is lean upon God's continual grace.  His grace brings forgiveness and healing for all our many mistakes and failures.  It washes away the guilt, remorse and condemnation. 

Perhaps you are one who keeps counting your failures by remembering what you did or didn't do.  You have to stop.  You have to capture those thoughts and cast them down.  Don't entertain them.  Don't give them a "breeding" ground.  Don't give place to them.  We can't change the past, but dwelling on past mistakes can change us.  They can steal our joy, our peace and the abundant life God desires to give us. 

Have a great day.  Stop counting your failures and mistakes.       

<>< <>< <>< <>< <>< <>< <>< <>< <>< <>< <>< <><

Coffee Break is a morning devotional written by Lorraine Ezell
and is sent to you free of charge for the asking from
About the Master's Business Ministry, Inc.
Please feel free to
call (601) 833-5278 or
Email
: mastersbusiness@bellsouth.net
Visit us on the web:

No comments: