Tuesday, October 4, 2011

"My Daddy"

"If ye then, being evil, know how to give good gifts unto your children, how much more shall your Father which is in heaven give good things to them that ask him?" Matthew 7:11

Saturday I had a yard sale for the ministry. At the end of the day, I went to get in my vehicle and noticed that my key was on. I tried to crank it but it was dead. The battery was completely drained. I was going to need some help.

My first thought for help was my husband but he wasn't at home and I didn't want to call him because he was an hour away fishing. My brother in law who lives in town was with him, so I couldn't call him. I thought about my son in law, but he was too far away also. I thought about asking a stranger where I was having the yard sale, but wasn't sure if any of them would have jumper cables. Wondering what I was going to do, I finally thought about my daddy. He was only a couple of minutes away, had all the equipment that was needed to crank my vehicle, he was available and had the know how to get my vehicle running again.

Looking back over that situation I can see several spiritual parallels, and lessons, that I want to share with you.
1) The first one I thought about was the fact that when there was no one else around to call- there was my daddy. All were gone and unable to help me, but he was there. Our Heavenly Father is always there. We can always call on Him and He will be there for us. We can't always depend on people, they may not be there, but He will be. They may let us down, but He won't.

2) My daddy had everything that was needed to change my situation and put me back on the road again. I wasn't sure if those strangers who were already there had what was needed to help me, but I knew my daddy did. My Heavenly Father has everything that I need too. There is nothing that I need that He doesn't have. I may need peace, joy, strength, wisdom, finances, a healing-- He has it all no matter what my need may be.

3) When I called my daddy, I was confident that he would come and help me because in all my life he has never let me down. He has always been there when I needed him. When I need my Heavenly Father, I know I can call on Him with confidence that He will be there for me-- He always has, He has never let me down, He has never forsaken me in my time of need. Each and every time I have called on Him He has answered me-- and always will.

4) When I called my dad for help, he did not hesitate to come to my aid. He didn't put me on hold, or act like he was too busy, or tell me to call someone else. He dropped everything he was doing and came to my aid. (He literally dropped what he was doing and denied himself, because I discovered after it was all over that he was in the middle of eating his dinner when I called. He left his plate half-eaten to come help me.) My Heavenly Father doesn't hesitate to come to my aid either. He "drops" everything else to reach out to me whenever I need Him. He never turns me away. He is never too busy for me. I am His child and He does not hesitate to help me when I call Him.

5) When I needed the help, I don't know why I didn't immediately think about my daddy. I should have. He should have been on the top of my list. The parallel here also is that when we have a need, or are going through some difficulty, we often think about everyone else's help except our Heavenly Father. Why do we put Him at the "bottom of the list"? Why do we think we can do it ourselves, or turn to other men- who are just as weak and unwise as we are- when we are in need? Like my daddy in this case, our Heavenly Daddy should be at the very top of our list.

6) The last point is this-- why did my daddy do that? Why did he leave his dinner plate unfinished? Why didn't he turn me away when I was in need? Why did he come and help me? Why did I feel confident that if I called him he would come? The reason is simple-- I know my daddy loves me! Our Heavenly Father loves us too. Because of His love for us, He will not leave us nor forsake us, nor abandon us in our time of need. His love for us will always reach down to us when we call upon Him. He loves us and will be there to meet each and every need we have.

Have a great day. Our Heavenly Father loves us so much and will never abandon us in our time of need, but come to our aid.

For further reading:
Psalm 103:13
Matthew 6:32
Hebrews 13:5
1 John 3:1

<>< <>< <>< <>< <>< <>< <>< <>< <>< <>< <><
Coffee Break is a morning devotional written by Lorraine Ezell
and is sent to you free of charge for the asking from
About the Master's Business Ministry, Inc.
Please feel free to
call (601) 833-5278 or
Email: mastersbusiness@bellsouth.net
Visit us on the web: www.mastersbusiness.org

You are welcomed to make copies and distribute them free of charge.
You may also forward them via e-mail or post them to your website - leaving the whole message in tact unless permission is granted to do otherwise. Please remember to give credit to About the Master's Business Ministry.

No comments: