Wednesday, March 4, 2020

Coffee Break - Choice Of Patience

Coffee Break

"Choice Of Patience"

A couple of weeks ago I talked about how being flat of your back and unable to do anything for yourself will force you to learn patience.  But now that I am released from my doctor to go back to normal activities is patience going to continue to prevail?  It is one thing to be patient when you know you can't do it (whatever it is) and have no choice but to wait.  And it is another thing when you are able to do it because you can.    

Let me explain and give you an example.  We are planning to do some work to update our kitchen.  One of the things I want to do when we start is get rid of a lot of utensils and other items that I never use.  This work will probably not start for another month, so I don't need to start pulling things out now.  I need to wait a little longer until the remodel actually begins.  If I was still unable to do this, patience would be no problem.  The situation forced me to be patient. But now that I am able to do it, I am having to fight impatience to do this de-cluttering now.  I am so ready to get it done and am more physically able to so I have nothing stopping me. 

When I was in a position where I couldn't do anything, I had no problem waiting/being patient.  Now that I am in a position to where I can do it and have the freedom to do it, I have to make a choice-- to be patient and wait or not.

Some things give us no choice but some things do give us a choice.  My previous situation gave me no choice but to wait.  My situation now gives me the freedom to do what I want to do when I want to do it.  Choosing to de-clutter now, instead of waiting, would clutter the rest of my house and it would be extra work for me.  So, I have to choose-- be patient and wait or impatient and do it.  

If you have no choice but to be patient-- is it really patience?  Or do we learn and grow in patience when we have a choice and have to choose?

Have a great day.  Are you only patient when you have no choice but to be?  Or do you truly posses patience when you have a choice and choose to wait?    

No comments: