Friday, February 14, 2020

Coffee Break - No Fire

Coffee Break

"No Fire"

When I surrendered to the Lord's will to have surgery, I didn't know that through it what He was also doing was answering prayers that I had prayed.  When I had my surgery, I was kept overnight.  That night in the hospital I wasn’t able to sleep.  Sometime during the middle of the night I decided to turn on the television.  I began to scroll through the channels looking for a Christian station.  I found one.  As I watched the guest was talking to the hosts about an event that was soon to take place.  The event was going to be a gathering of believers who wanted nothing more than God.  They were gathering to seek the Lord for a fresh touch and be in His glorious presence.  The guest was inviting people to come and be a part of the meeting.  He said something that made my “spiritual ears” stand up at attention. He said, “You have been working for the Lord, been involved in ministry, gaining more knowledge, praying, doing all the Christian duties, but you have lost the fire.”  I said, “Oh, Lord, that is me.” I am working for you, running a ministry, teaching, studying the Word, being used in the gifts, but something is missing.”  That was it!  I have felt for a while like something wasn't right and something was missing in my life.  But I didn't know what it was.  I had prayed about it but never could put my finger on what it was.  This was it--My fire had gone.  I was like a smoking flax and bruised reed. (Matthew 12:20 ) The smoke of religious service was there but the fire of the Spirit, the passion, the hunger, the yearning and first love was not there.  But God is so gracious and loving that if we allow ourselves to get to the point where we are just “smoking”, He will not quench it.   He sees the smoke and knows that were there’s smoke, there is a chance for a fire.  He knows how to blow on the embers and reignite it. 

Let me ask you this morning-- and be honest with yourself and God.  Are you a smoking flax?  Often we think we are on fire but are nothing more than smoke.  Have you lost your passion for the Lord?  Is the zeal of God still there?  Do you hunger and thirst for righteousness?  Have you lost your first love?  Do you still yearn to be in His presence?  Like I said already, we can go through the motions and do all the Christian duties but lack the fire.  Maybe you are like I was, you knew something was missing but didn't know what.  Maybe it's the fire.  If it is, you can get it back.  I am!  The way it is happening is by drawing near to the Lord and making Him and His presence my priority.  

We often equate the work of the Lord with the presence of the Lord.  It isn't.  You can do His work and still not have His presence.  "Many will say to me in that day, Lord, Lord, have we not prophesied in thy name? and in thy name have cast out devils? and in thy name done many wonderful works? And then will I profess unto them, I never knew you: depart from me, ye that work iniquity." (Matthew 7:22,23)  Many are drawing to the works, thinking they are drawing close to Him.

Have a great day.  Has your fire gone out?  Don't mistake your Christian works for God's presence.  Start drawing close to Him and getting into His presence and He will fan your smoke and start a fire from it.    


  

No comments: