Tuesday, March 20, 2018

"It's Just A Thing"

"For the thing which I greatly feared is come upon me, and that which I was afraid of is come unto me." Job 3:25

Have you ever heard the saying, "It's just a thing"? What that means is it's just a thing- something that really isn't that important, something that won't always last, something that doesn't have more power than we do.

It's amazing how many "things" we let defeat us, upset us, frustrate us and steal our joy and peace. Most of these things are so small and insignificant yet we give them a lot of "authority" in our lives by letting them dictate the way we feel, the way we respond, the way we act and react.

I knew that we were going to talk about this subject this morning and as I sat down to start typing the devotional, I had an encounter with one of those "things". I tried to pull up my new messages and it kept timing out and would not connect to my server. I was able to go online and open my messages there but not in my inbox. I tried several different things to make it work and finally- thank the Lord- it did. As I was "working" on it I kept reminding myself- "it's just a thing". Therefore, I was not going to let it bother me; I was not going to let it make me anxious; I was not going to let it steal my peace; I was going to give it to God and do whatever I needed to do to get it working and if it still didn't work, I wasn't going to let it upset me. (As you can see it's working.)

When those "things" come up, and they do and will, we have to make a choice about what we are going to do. Are we going to allow them to cause us to get in the "flesh"? Or are we going to overcome them before they overcome us? We do not have to be overcome by things- by situations- that arise. We have the peace of God that establishes our hearts and minds, we can do all things through Christ's empowerment, we are more than conquerors in all things.

So when these "things" come against you-- whether they come in the form of computer problems, rebellious teenagers, obnoxious co-workers, the loss of a job, an appliance that quits working, a vehicle accident, a bad report-- remember that it is "just a thing". A thing that is not greater than God. A thing that is not more powerful than His word. A thing that is temporary and not eternal. "It's just a thing".

Have a great day. Don't let "things" defeat you, because that's all they are... things.

For further reading:
Romans 8:37
2 Corinthians 4:18
1 John 4:4
Philippians 4:6,7

No comments: