Monday, January 23, 2017

"The Shepherd Is The Lord"

"The Lord is my shepherd; I shall not want."  Psalm 23:1

Last Friday I encouraged you to take some time to meditate on the 23rd Psalm.  I did myself over the weekend, and to be honest I didn't make it past the first verse.  I want to share my meditation with you.

"The Lord is my shepherd; I shall not want".  Keep in mind that the word for want is also lack in the Hebrew.  So, this is how I pondered the verse:  "Because" the Lord is my Shepherd, I shall not be in want or lack.

I won't lack because this shepherd is no ordinary shepherd.  He is not just a some man or another shepherd who leads a flock from one pasture to another or one water hole to another.  This shepherd is The Lord-- the Creator of Heaven and earth.  He is the King of kings and Lord of lords.  He is the One by whom all things were created.  He is the One who spoke into nothing and brought forth everything.  He is the Alpha and Omega; the Beginning and the End; the First and the Last; the One who was, is and is to come; the One who has been given a name that is above every name and at His name every knee shall bow and every tongue confess that He is Lord.  He is the One who makes all things work together for my good.  He is the One who is able to do exceeding abundantly above all I ask or think.  He is the Lord God Himself!

Because this shepherd is none other than the Lord God Himself, I shall not want for any good thing because He supplies everything I need.  I shall not want when it comes to that which I desire because He fulfills my every desire.  I won't be in want because He satisfies my every longing with Himself.  And because He does I am content and at peace.

Because this shepherd is my Lord, I shall not lack.  I shall not lack any good thing because every good and perfect gift comes from Him.  I shall not lack spiritually, physically, mentally, emotionally, financially, or in any other way.  I shall not lack because there will always be enough and more than enough-- He will see to it that there is.  He daily loads me with benefits.  He blesses me with all spiritual blessings in heavenly places and gives me abundant life.  He is my Healer, my Savior, my Deliverer, my Peace, my Hiding Place, my Safe Refuge, my Strong tower and my Strength.  I shall not lack-- I shall not come behind in any thing that I need because my Shepherd is El-Shaddai, the All-Sufficient God.   

Now you see why I couldn't get past the first verse.  And there was more, but this is a daily devotion not a book.  Take time again today to mediate on who your Shepherd is-- He is the Lord.

Have a great day.  The Shepherd is the Lord. 

No comments: