Tuesday, April 8, 2008

"Spring Cleaning"

"That he might sanctify and cleanse it with the washing of water by the word." Ephesians 5:26

There is something that our mothers and grandmothers used to do every spring- it's called "spring cleaning". I don't know how many people still do it today. But each year when spring arrived they would do a thorough cleaning of their homes. Their houses had been closed up all winter because of the cold and now they could open the windows and let the fresh air in, so they would dust, sweep, mop, discarded, wash everything, beat the rugs, air out the mattresses- clean the house from top to bottom.

You may not "spring clean" your house, but what about your "heart house"- your body, your temple where God dwells? When was the last time it had a "good cleaning"? I'm not talking about taking a bath to clean the outside, I am talking about cleaning out dirt, dust and grim from your spirit and soul. Are there sinful habits, fleshly lusts, immoral behavior, evil thoughts or wrong attitudes that need to be cleaned out of your life? Does the dust of unforgiveness, jealousy, temper or bitterness need to be wiped away?

There are some of you who know that there is some cleaning that needs to be done in your life but you aren't doing it. You have developed the mindset that if God wants me to "clean it up" He'll tell me or He'll convict me. When these women took up the task of spring cleaning their homes, they left "no stone unturned"- if it was dirty it got a cleaning. They didn't give it a second thought- it got washed, dusted or sanitized. There are some things in our lives that we are waiting on God to put a finger on that we should already be taking care of. If I have trash in my home no one has to tell me to take it out. I know that if it stays in my house too long it will make it smell bad. God's word has already taught us that these things ought not be in our lives so it's up to us to do something about it-- not wait for God to point it out-- He already has in His word.

Have a great day. Is there anything in your life that needs to be cleaned? Then pick up the "dust rag" of repentance and start cleaning.

No comments: