Monday, April 21, 2008

"Elder Brother"

"And he answering said to his father, Lo, these many years do I serve thee, neither transgressed I at any time thy commandment: and yet thou never gavest me a kid, that I might make merry with my friends." Luke 15:29


Most of the preaching that I have heard concerning the elder brother in the story of the prodigal son deals with his jealousy and poor attitude about his brother's return. This morning I want us to look at him a little differently. (There is something else that we can learn from his attitude.) To the elder son's accusation above the father answered, "And he said unto him, Son, thou art ever with me, and all that I have is thine."(verse 31) The father's answer- in plain English- was: "You've always been with me and everything I have is your". This answer implies that the elder son had opportunity to ask the father for a party, to have friends over, to celebrate, for anything he wanted, but he never did.

There was so much available to the elder brother- whatever he had wanted was there for him- but he never asked the father for it. Many Christians are like this elder brother. God the Heavenly Father has made so much available to them, He has given them every good and perfect gift, He has promised to meet and supply every need, there is no good thing that He withholds from them, yet they have not because they ask not.

The elder brother could have had everything he wanted or needed, but he didn't ask. If he would have asked his father, he could have enjoyed the same blessings that were being bestowed on the returning son, but he never took advantage of all the resources that his father had. God has provided great resources for you today to meet every need, to give you the desire of your heart, to provide in your times of weakness, to give you when you lack, but you will go lacking if you don't ask the Father for it. "Ask, and it shall be given you." (Matthew 7:7a)

Have a great day. The elder son did not receive because he did not ask although everything the father had was available to him. If we aren't asking, we won't receive either?

No comments: