Monday, April 28, 2008

"Choices"

"...choose you this day..." Joshua 24:15ff

Choices, choices, choices. Perhaps life would be easier to live if we weren't faced with so many choices, but the reality is that we will always have to make choices. Some choices are simple- easy to make. Some choices are more difficult. Some choices affect only the moment. Other choices affect us our entire life. Some choices are made automatically when we refuse to make a choice. From the moment our eyes open in the morning until we close them in sleep at night, we will be confronted with many choices.

I had to make the choice this morning to get up and send out this devotional or stay in bed and sleep a while longer. I will have to make the choice to go about my business or spend some time alone with the Lord. I will have to choose to read my Bible today or not. Throughout the day I will have to make the choice to yield to the temptations that come my way or resist them. I will have to choose to forgive those who trespass against me. I will have to choose to turn the other cheek. I will have to make the choice to treat others the way I want to be treated. I will have to make the choice to believe God or my feelings. I'm sure I will have to make a choice to let my light shine or hide it; to bear the fruit of the Spirit or respond in the flesh; overcome evil with good; pray for my enemies; and so on.

Everyday affords opportunities for us to make the choice to do the right thing or the wrong thing; the flesh thing or the Spirit thing; the thing that pleases God or displeases Him; the thing that brings Him honor or brings Him shame. When the time comes-- and it will-- which choice will you make?

Have a great day. Today you will be confronted with choices, and you will have to make a choice about what to do with them.

No comments: