Monday, April 7, 2008

"I Can't"

"I can do all things through Christ which strengtheneth me." Phillippians 4:13

Have you ever know anyone with a case of the "I cant's"? A lot of children have this- everything you ask them to do their response is- I can't. Children aren't the only ones affected by this many adults have it too. Sadly, many of those adults are Christians. It's part of our human nature to focus more on what we can't do instead of what we can do. The scriptures are full of examples of this. Gideon had the "I cant's", Moses had them, the disciples in the boat had them too.

As a Christian "I can't" should never be in our vocabulary- not when it comes to doing what the Lord tells us to do; not when it comes to obeying the commands of God; not when we are called upon by God to perform a task. Sure, in and of ourselves there is much that we can't do. But, as Christians, there is one very important factor that we leave out when we say "I can't"- we leave out the "God factor".

David could not defeat the giant Goliath with his own strength and ability- but he did defeat him- killed him and cut his head off. Why? Because David thought he was bigger and stronger than Goliath? Because he thought that this giant wasn't equipped enough to defeat him? No, it was because David did not leave God out of the equation when he went out to face Goliath- "Then said David to the Philistine, Thou comest to me with a sword, and with a spear, and with a shield: but I come to thee in the name of the LORD of hosts, the God of the armies of Israel, whom thou hast defied. This day will the LORD deliver thee into mine hand." (1 Samuel 17:45,46a)

Moses by himself could not lead God's people, but when God placed a rod in his hand he could- and did. By himself Gideon could never win a battle, but when God put valor in his heart he could- and did. Peter never could have walked on water by himself, but when Jesus bid him to come he could- and did. I don't know what God may be speaking to you about, but by yourself you can't do it, but since He has called and commanded you to do so, through Him you can-- do it.

Have a great day. You "can" do whatever God calls you to do--- take "I can't" out of your vocabulary. Look to God, trust God and know He will help you do it.

No comments: