Thursday, February 27, 2020

Coffee Break - Good Pain

Coffee Break

"Good Pain"

Before I had my surgery I was in such tremendous pain.  After I had my surgery I experienced some pain.  The pain that I had before was different than the pain I had afterwards.  The pain I had before was "bad" pain.  The pain afterwards was "good" pain.  Really, is there such a thing as good and bad pain?  The pain before was from a problem that was going on in my body-- bad pain.  The pain that I was having after the surgery was a healing pain-- good pain.

Not every pain we experience is bad.  When I gave birth to my daughter, that was definitely good pain.  Through the pain of labor I was giving birth to a beautiful baby girl that would bring more joy to my life than I could ever have imagined. This was a good pain because it brought joy with it.  

The Bible tells us that Jesus endured the suffering of the cross for the joy that was set before Him.  (Hebrews 12:2)  Jesus endured the pain, beating, suffering, crown of thorns and nails because He knew that through this sacrifice you and I would be able to have a chance to receive salvation and live with Him forever in His kingdom in heaven-- the thought of having us with Him brought Him great joy, therefore, He didn't come down off the cross but stayed in pain and agony until it was finished!

There is pain that we go through-- spiritually speaking-- that isn't pleasant but it is needful and in the end it will yield the peaceable fruits of righteousness in us. (Hebrews 12:11)  Our faith being stretched is painful, the Potter's hands on us molding and making us into a fit vessel is painful, the fire of the furnace that purifies us is painful, the pruning off the dead and unnecessary things in our lives is painful... but they bring about something good.  They bring about peace, joy, strength, victory, love, kindness, and so on.  It is painful but afterwards our lights will shine brighter, our salt will be savory, our weakness will turn to strength, our fear will turn to faith, and our love will increase.  The pain of suffering will make us perfect, establish us, strengthen and settle us. (1 Peter 5:10) You've heard it said-- no pain, no gain.  Well, spiritually speaking as well-- no pain, no gain. 

Have a great day.  Not all pain is bad.... some is good!   

No comments: