Thursday, December 14, 2017

"Nativity Memories"

"For God so loved the world, that He gave His Only Begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in Him should not perish, but have everlasting life."  John 3:16
 
If you know me very well, you know I like nativity scenes.  I don't collect them but I have a lot of them.  Many of them stay in a display case during the year.  The rest come out at Christmas time and decorate the mantle and various places all over my house.  As I was putting them out this year, I couldn't help but reminisce about each one.  One nativity set was my grandmothers.  The figures were bought at the "dime store" many years ago.  There are a couple that were given to me by my sister.  One that was ceramic came from my mother-in-law.  I found several that came from various friends throughout the years.  Each one has a special memory attached to it.
 
But when I look at the nativity scenes, the thing that I am reminded of the most is the birth of my Savior.  As I look at them I remember how much He loves me.  I remember that He came to earth to die for my sins.  I remember that He paid my debt and made the sacrifice that I couldn't.  I remember how He took my place by taking my punishment.  When I look at them, my heart is filled with thankfulness-- for what He did for me.  It is filled with peace-- the peace of knowing that it is well with my soul.  It is filled with hope-- hope of an eternity spent with Him.  It is filled with joy-- the joy of knowing my sins are forgiven. 
 
When I look at those nativity scenes, I am looking at memories.  But the greatest memory is the one that I am aware of every day, not only at Christmas time when the nativity scenes come out of storage.  It is the price of love that was paid for me. 
 
Have a great day.  When you look at the nativity scene, it should remind you of the great love that God has for you.     

No comments: