Friday, December 8, 2017

"Lessons From The Snow"

"While it is said, To day if ye will hear his voice, harden not your hearts, as in the provocation."  Hebrews 3:15
 
I am a little late this morning because last night it started snowing and this morning I awoke to a Winter Wonderland... and it is still snowing.  This isn't something we normally experience here in the South.  So I had "first things first" that I needed to do.  Thinking about this snow has brought two things to mind that have a spiritual application.
 
First, because we aren't use to this, at the last minute people were scurrying to get water pipes wrapped so they wouldn't freeze and burst.  They were making sure they had wood in for the fireplaces and pulling out any other heat source they had.  They had not prepared ahead of time.  What it made me think of was the number of people who are not prepared where their eternity is concerned.  We kept receiving warnings about the weather so at the last minute people heeded them.  Constantly warnings are going out about the need to get prepared for eternity and not put if off.  But people are waiting until the last minute hoping to get right.  The difference in this and eternal preparation is that you don't get another chance.  There is no last minute preparation.  Waiting to heed until the last minute maybe too late.
 
Secondly, before I could sit down to do the devotional I had to make sure I had "first things first" taking care of.  I had to make sure I had water stored in case of power loss.  I had to make sure the volunteers were contacted to let them know we would be closed at the shop today.  I had to make sure my phones are fully charged.  And so on.  We cannot neglect to take care of the important things first.  The most important thing being the state of your eternal soul.  You can't put that off until later.  Later may be too late.
 
To sum it up, what I learned from the snow is this:  heed the warnings concerning your soul now; don't wait to the last minute and think you will get it taken care of; put first things first and don't put them off, you may wait too long and it may be too late.
 
Have a great day. Take a lesson from the snow and get prepared. 

No comments: