Wednesday, December 13, 2017

"Grace In Changed Plans"

"For unto us a child is born, unto us a son is given: and the government shall be upon his shoulder: and his name shall be called Wonderful, Counsellor, The mighty God, The everlasting Father, The Prince of Peace."  Isaiah 9:6
 
During the Christmas season we make lots of plans-- plans for gift giving, plans to get together with family and friends, plans of baking special treats, Christmas programs and so on.  Last year most of those plans did not materialize for me.  My husband was in the hospital at Christmas.  This year already many of my Christmas plans have not manifested.  I had to cancel a Christmas party with the volunteers at the shop and I had to cancel our get together with my husband's family.  Both were because of the snow, lack of electricity and icy roads.  I planned on baking cookies with my granddaughters but I hurt my back and couldn't.  
 
Yes, it was somewhat disappointing, but it wasn't the "end of the world".  Why?  Because all the things that we plan for and do during this season don't have much to do with the true meaning of Christmas.  When my Christmas plans got cancelled I had to stop for a moment and look at the real meaning of Christmas-- the birth of Jesus, my Savior and King.  When I did, it gave me the grace I needed to accept the change of plans. 
 
When our plans change, when they don't materialize, and not just at Christmas but every day throughout the year, we have to come back to "front and center" and look at Jesus and remember that He has plans for us.  As we do, grace will come.  When grace comes, it will give us peace and contentment with the change of plans.  It will give us grace to accept the change.  It will give us grace to move on.
 
Have your plans been changed?  Don't look at the plans that didn't happen.  Look to Jesus who will give you the grace you need to remember that it is well regardless.
 
Have a great day.  When our plans change, if we will look to Jesus we will find grace to be content with the change. 

No comments: