Wednesday, August 16, 2017

"Expectations And Suffering"

"That I may know him, and the power of his resurrection, and the fellowship of his sufferings, being made conformable unto his death."  Philippians 3:10

I have to admit that for the last several days I have been fighting to keep a Christ-like attitude and my emotions in check.  I deal with lots of people from all walks of life-- family, friends, acquaintances, strangers.  And especially because I am in the ministry and help people in various ways.  The reason I have been battling my emotions is because I have been bombarded with other peoples expectations of me. 

They expect me to make sacrifices for them but are unwilling to make any sacrifices for themselves.  They want me to do what they want me to do and if for some reason I can't, they get upset and angry with me.  They don't mind giving you a piece of their mind whether it hurts or not.  They act like they are the only ones who have feelings, you don't.  Their feelings are the only ones that matter.  They don't have anything to do with you until they need something from you.  Then once you give it to them, they forget you-- until they need you again.  They expect you to drop everything you are doing for them.  Yet, they don't want to take the time for you when you need something.

Does it sound familiar?  I am sure most of you can relate to dealing with people who have these same expectations of you.  I wanted to throw myself a pity party but then the Lord reminded me that I was in good company because they did, and still do, Him the same way. 

People get angry at Him when He doesn't do what they think He should do.  They neglect and forget about Him until they need something.  Once He gives them their request they forget about Him until the next time.  They expect Him to do His part but are unwilling to do their part.  He makes all the sacrifices.  He knows what it is like to be rejected, used, abused, taken for granted, accused, betrayed and lied upon even by those closest to Him, as well as the strangers.  He experienced it on earth and is still experiencing it today. 

So, if you are going through something concerning other's attitude and expectations toward you.  Throw yourself a party-- not a pity party, but a party to celebrate the fact that you are fellowshipping with Jesus' sufferings. 

Have a great day.  Other people will always expect more from you than from themselves.  But rejoice because they did, and still do, the same thing to Jesus. 

No comments: