Monday, March 24, 2008

"What Church Are You?"

"Blessed is he that readeth, and they that hear the words of this prophecy, and keep those things which are written therein: for the time is at hand." Revelation 1:3

Concerning the seven churches in Asia that were addressed in the Book of Revelation, there are a couple of schools of thought- some believe that they represent seven successive phases of the church; some believe that they coexist at the same time. It's not my desire to get into a theological debate this morning concerning these churches but I do want to look at them from an additional perspective.

The church of Ephesus had lost their first love. Pergamos tolerated immorality, idolatry and heresies. The church of Thyatira allowed deception, idolatry, immorality. The church of Sardis was self deceived- they thought they were alive but they were dead. Laodicea was lukewarm.

Regardless of what you believe these churches represent, I believe we can take it a step further. It has been said that "we are the church". The church is not a "building"- that's just a place where the "real church" meets together. So if "I'm the church" and these letters were written to the church- I should take personal heed to what the Lord is saying here and ask myself some questions and search my heart to see if this is the state of my life.

You and I have to ask ourselves, "Have I lost my first love? Am I allowing immorality or idolatry in my life? Do I think that I am alive but I am deceived and am really dead? Have I become lukewarm in my desire for the things of God- for God Himself? Do I tolerate those things that He hates? Am I putting more emphasis on material things than on spiritual things?" After answering these questions, did you see a resemblance between you and them? If so, then there is only one thing to do-- repent. Repent and return to your first love. Repent and lay aside immorality and idolatry. Repent and get on fire again. Repent.

Have a great day. Does your life bear a resemblance to any of these churches? If so, repent.

No comments: