Thursday, March 13, 2008

"Married Or Not?"

"Sanctify them through thy truth: thy word is truth." John 17:17

I was talking with someone a couple of months ago that I haven't seen in quite awhile. They were catching me up on their lives- their children and grandchildren. They told me that one of their sons was living with a girl but they weren't married. This friend wasn't happy about the situation because he is a Christian and knows it's not right. But then he said something to me that I have heard from many other Christians on this subject. He said,"They know it's not right; they might as well go ahead and get married because in the eyes of God they already are married."

This Bible doesn't say that. The Bible says it's adultery or fornication. If God considers you married if you live together as husband and wife but aren't, then why does He address the subject of adultery in the Bible? If it automatically makes you married in His sight, then what is adultery? Let's look at what Jesus had to say about this. When Jesus met the woman at the well, part of their conversation was about her "marital status". Jesus told her to go get her husband and her reply was that she did not have a husband. Listen to what Jesus then said to her. "The woman answered and said, I have no husband. Jesus said unto her, Thou hast well said, I have no husband: For thou hast had five husbands; and he whom thou now hast is not thy husband: in that saidst thou truly." (John 4:17,18) Jesus told her that the man she was living with- in the kind of relationship that is reserved for husbands and wives-- was not her husband. So according to God- who Jesus is- He does not consider them married.

This morning I felt the Lord wanted me to clear this up. What my friend said to me is wrong, yet many Christian people believe this same way- I grew up thinking this was true also. The Bible tells us that God's people perish for lack of knowledge. It also tells us that the truth will make us free and that it's the job of the enemy to deceive us so that we won't believe the truth but believe a lie instead. Therefore, we must know the truth. His word is truth and in it we will find out what He has to say on this or any other subject.

Have a great day. Always go to the word of God and find out what the truth is on any and all subjects.

No comments: