Tuesday, August 20, 2024

"Watch...."

"Watch and pray, that ye enter not into temptation: the spirit indeed is willing, but the flesh is weak." Matthew 26:41

As I was sitting here, I happened to glance at some of my plants.  I saw something (large and long) hanging from one of the leaves.  I wasn't sure what I was seeing, then I couldn't believe what I saw...a spider's web.  You know, I was sitting here yesterday and never noticed it.  (I don't think it was there yesterday, or perhaps I was just too busy to notice?)

That's how it is with sin in our lives.  One day it's not there and the next day it is.  (Sometimes it kind of creeps up on us.)  Everything may be going fine, we think we are doing alright, we think that we are finally getting on the right track, and then boom, all of a sudden, we are staring it in the face.  Sometimes we are too busy to notice what's going on.  We aren't on guard; we aren't paying attention to the snares and traps that have been laid for us, then the next thing we know something happens to trigger it and we wonder, "Where did that come from?"  

We have to be watchful and guard against letting anything come into our lives that is sin.  You can't neglect your spirit man for one minute.  You have to be on the lookout because just like a spider's web it will be hanging there before you know it.  By the time you realize it, it's a little harder to deal with.  Have you heard the old expression...It's easier to keep the barn door closed than it is to round up the cows after they have gotten out.

Be on guard, watch and pray, keep your eyes open.  You don't have to go looking for sin, it will find you.  But if you are watching, it won't sneak up on you unaware.  

Have a great day.  The next time you see a spider's web, check your heart to see if any sin has made a "web" there.


No comments: