Wednesday, January 19, 2022

"Persevere"

"And let us not be weary in well doing: for in due season we shall reap, if we faint not."  Galatians 6:9

Last week I had to work on getting the ministry books closed out for the year.  We do have an accountant but there are things that I have to do myself in getting amounts posted, etc.  I sat down at my desk that morning and began to work.  For some reason I could not get my columns to balance.  I added and readded, and then readded again.  I went back over every total and every page more times than I can count.  I sat in that chair all day trying to figure out what the problem was, stopping only for dinner.  After dinner I went back to the books.  I stayed up until midnight and finally had to go to bed.  I sat in that chair for so long reading and recalculating that my whole body ached.  My fingers, my legs, my knees, even my head hurt.  The next morning, I got up and went right back to trying to solve the problem.  Thankfully, about mid-morning I figured out my mistake and everything balanced perfectly.

I tell you this because it is a lesson in perseverance.  The definition of perseverance is:  persistence in doing something despite difficulty or delay in achieving success.  I could not quit until I got the books to balance.  It didn't matter how many hours, how uncomfortable my body was or how tired I got, I had to keep on until the goal was achieved.  As a result of my perseverance everything balanced the way it should.

The Bible encourages us to persevere and not give up until we reach the prize that is set before us-- eternity with Jesus.  Sometimes it gets hard, tiring and painful.  Sometimes you may want to give up and quit.  Sometimes it doesn't feel like it is worth the effort.  Sometimes it seems like it is impossible, and it will never "balance".  It's in those times that we have to get more determined not to give up.  When everything is telling you to quit, you have to persevere through it and press on. 

The Bible also promises that when we don't quit but continue to persevere, we will reach the goal-- we will reap what we have hoped for.  

The Bible also warns that if we do get faint and give up, we will not reap. 

So, which one are you going to be?  One who gives up and quits running the race that is set before you?  Or the one who doesn't quit but keeps on not matter what until you reach the prize?

Have a great day.  If you continue to preserver and don't give up, you will reach the goal-- and prize.    

For further reading:

Hebrews 12:1

Philippines 3:14




No comments: