Monday, March 14, 2016

"He Helps Us"

"....The Lord is my helper..."  Hebrews 13:6

There are many sayings that we have and think they are scriptural.  One is-- "The Lord helps those who help themselves".  This is not a scripture.  It isn't even true.  The truth is-- "The Lord helps those who can't help themselves". 

None of us are able to "help ourselves".  When it comes to salvation and eternal life, we can't help ourselves.  We can't save ourselves.  We can't work enough.  Do enough good.  Be righteous enough.  It took God sending His Only Begotten Son into the world to die for our sins that made it possible for us to be saved.

There is no area of accomplishment in our lives that we can take credit for.  It is the Lord who gives us the power to get wealth.  It is the Lord who gives us health and healing.  It is the Lord who gives us wisdom.  It is the Lord who directs our steps-- we don't have that ability.  It is the Lord who gives us strength to continue on when we want to quit and give up.  It is the Lord who goes before us making the crooked paths straight. 

He imparts to us and infuses us with the help that we need when we need it because we are helpless on our own apart from Him.  Only the fool and the wicked would say that they don't need His help and they can do it on their own.  Only the misinformed believe that He will help them as long as they are trying to help themselves.  I for one am thankful that this is not the case.  I need His help because I can't help myself.... and He knows that.

Have a great day.  The Lord helps those who can't help themselves.    

For further reading: 

"But thou shalt remember the Lord thy God: for it is he that giveth thee power to get wealth, that he may establish his covenant which he sware unto thy fathers, as it is this day". (Deuteronomy 8:18)

"And he said unto me, My grace is sufficient for thee: for my strength is made perfect in weakness. Most gladly therefore will I rather glory in my infirmities, that the power of Christ may rest upon me". (2 Corinthians 12:9)

"O Lord, I know that the way of man is not in himself: it is not in man that walketh to direct his steps".  (Jeremiah 10:23)

"I am the vine, ye are the branches: He that abideth in me, and I in him, the same bringeth forth much fruit: for without me ye can do nothing". (John 15:5)

<>< <>< <>< <>< <>< <>< <>< <>< <>< <>< <>< <><
Coffee Break is a morning devotional written by Lorraine Ezell
and is sent to you free of charge for the asking from
About the Master's Business Ministry, Inc.
Please feel free to
call (601) 833-5278 or
Email
: mastersbusiness@bellsouth.net
Visit us on the web:

No comments: