Thursday, September 16, 2010

"Freedom"

"And ye shall know the truth, and the truth shall make you free." John 8:32

Freedom comes with truth. For example, I know the truth concerning the issue of salvation through faith or salvation through works. I know that we are not saved by good deeds. I know that we can't work our way to heaven or favor with God. I know that salvation comes through faith in the atoning work of Jesus Christ at the cross. I know that I am saved by the gift of God not the merit of my own endeavor. Therefore, knowing the truth in this area brings me freedom in that area.

Knowing the truth gives me freedom "from" some things. It gives freedom from confusion; freedom from struggle; freedom from deception. It gives freedom from error in that particular area.

Knowing the truth not only frees me "from" the things such as I have named, but it also "gives" some things to me. It gives me peace because I no longer wonder if I am being "good enough". It gives me the ability to stand firm in my belief. It gives me strength to stand in the face of that which isn't truth. It roots and grounds me and places me on a firm foundation.

In His parable of the wise man who built his house upon the rock and the foolish man who built his house upon the sand, Jesus showed us that a wise man will build his life upon God's word (the truth), thus, giving him freedom from destruction when the storms of life come. But a foolish man does not build his house upon the truth of God's word, therefore, he suffers when the storms comes. Summed up, freedom "gives" us life and delivers us "from" destruction.

Have a great day. When you walk in the truth, you walk in freedom.

For further reading:
Matthew 7:24-29
Ephesians 2:8,9

No comments: