Tuesday, July 27, 2010

"Rebellion"

"For rebellion is as the sin of witchcraft, and stubbornness is as iniquity and idolatry. Because thou hast rejected the word of the LORD, he hath also rejected thee from being king." 1 Samuel 15:23

I had a dream last night that a friend of mine had an out of town friend visiting her and she introduced her to me. The out of town friend and I hit it off well and enjoyed our visit...until. During the conversation she started talking about tattoos and other things (I don't remember what all else). Once I told her that I didn't care for them because the Bible says not to have them, she became "irate". Her whole disposition changed. My friend who introduced me to her told her that her attitude was one of rebellion. I asked her why she was getting mad at me, I wasn't the one that said it, God said it in the Bible. Then I awoke from that dream. (Before I go any further, this message is not about tattoos- that was just the subject the lady in my dream wanted to defend.)

Don't shoot the messenger just because he brings you a message, he didn't write it- God did. Just because there are things we want to do and enjoy doing, it doesn't mean that it is all right with God. And when God says, "You shall not", but you do it anyway without regard to what He says, then it is called "rebellion".

Rebellion is not just going on out there in the world, it is happening in the church. Many Christians give very little regard to what God says- like in my dream. They do what they want to do even if God says not to. They place their will above His will and their wants above what He wants. They sacrifice obedience to His commands for the "right" to do what they desire.

The sad part is that they think God is going to overlook it or wink at it. When I was growing up and my daddy said, "No", he meant it and if I disobeyed and did it anyway, I faced the consequences. Do we think God is any different? Do we think that just because He said it He doesn't mean it? He does mean it, and He means for you to obey Him. There is not enough time in this devotional to give all the scriptures and illustrations about how serious God considers obedience. But I will tell you this- when we deliberately disobey because whatever it is is something that we want to do, God calls it rebellion. And God's definition of rebellion is no small matter- He equates it to "witchcraft". And the Bible is plain that those who practice witchcraft have no part with Him- now or in eternity.

So ask yourself the next time you decide to choose what you want over what God wants--- "Is it worth it? Is it worth sacrificing my obedience to God? Is it worth more for me to do this than what I will lose by doing it? Is it worth the consequences?"

Have a great day. You may want to do it, but doesn't what God says matter more to you? If you are a Christian it should, and obeying Him should be your top priority.

For further reading:
Ezekiel 18:20
Mark 14:36
Colossians 3:1-7
Galatians 5:19-21

1 comment:

SarahCity said...

Lorraine,
Have been reading your blog and truly enjoy it. The message is clear and convicting. Praise God for the good work!
Iris