Tuesday, May 25, 2010

"Get Dressed"

"And he said, I heard thy voice in the garden, and I was afraid, because I was naked; and I hid myself." Genesis 3:10

I am up a little earlier this morning because I have to leave the house earlier than usual. Therefore, I have to give myself extra time to get dressed. When I say I have to get "dressed", I am not just talking about dressing my physical man, I am also talking about dressing my spiritual man as well. I would not leave my house this morning, or any other morning, without putting on some clothes. I would not go out in public naked. Yet so many Christians are walking around naked each day not having taken the time to "get dressed" spiritually.

They stay in bed until the very last minute and give themselves just enough time to slip on their clothes, perhaps drink a cup of coffee and then it is out the door they go. Don't they realize they are "naked" because they have not taken the time to dress themselves spiritually. They have not taken the time to put on the full armor of God. They aren't dressed with the garment of praise because they didn't take the time to do so. They haven't clothed themselves with God's word. They haven't dressed themselves through prayer or by coming into God's presence.

Why is it that we think getting our bodies dressed is the only thing that matters before we go out into the world- to our jobs, to school, to take care of business, to perform daily activities? Why isn't it as important to us to get our spirit man dressed so that we are prepared for what may come our way? Why do we think that it is all right to stand "naked" before our adversary allowing him to see our weaknesses or vulnerable areas because they have not been "covered up"? No wonder we have no defense when the enemy comes against. He has no problem finding a target area to attack us in- we are naked, he can "see it all".

Does that describe you this morning? You jump up out of bed, put on your clothes, then it's out the door? Not only can the enemy see you are "naked", but everyone else can tell you are too. They can tell because you don't have joy to share with them, you don't have a word of encouragement at the right time, your light isn't as bright and you don't seem to have any "saltiness". Getting "dressed" not only covers us so the enemy can't find an easy target, but it also prepares us to do the work we need to do that day because it takes away that uncomfortable, uneasy feeling you have when you are setting there naked.

You wouldn't dream of going to work naked. Yet you will go to work "spiritually naked" because you didn't think taking the time to get dressed spiritually was important.

Have a great day. Have you gotten dressed today- spiritually as well as physically?

For further reading:
Isaiah 61:3
Ephesians 6:11-13
Matthew 5:13,14
Genesis 3:7-10

No comments: