Thursday, May 20, 2010

"Ask For Directions"

"In all thy ways acknowledge him, and he shall direct thy paths." Proverbs 3:6

In the verse above the Lord said to "acknowledge Him in 'all' your ways". When God says "all" you have to wonder why some Christians don't understand that He really does mean "ALL". He didn't say acknowledge Him in some of your ways. Or in only the things you can't figure out. He didn't say in the small decisions only, or vice versa, just in the big ones. He didn't say to acknowledge Him as a last resort.

Some people will tell you that you don't have to acknowledge Him in everything or pray about everything. They'll tell you that "God gives you common sense". They'll tell you that you shouldn't bother God with everything. They will also tell you that the thing you are asking is trivial. They will say that you are just being "too spiritual".

I don't think it is being "too spiritual", I consider it doing exactly what God said to do in His word. I also don't think that we have the ability to make decisions- any decision- on our own. When we don't acknowledge Him but lean to our own understanding, aren't we saying that we are smarter than God? Are we? Can we see how the decision we make will affect us down the road? Can we see what the outcome will be because of what we decided to do? We may have been given "common sense" but common sense can't discern spiritual things. It can't discern whether God or a spirit is behind the thing that is presented to us.

When I drive through a new town, I am going through unfamiliar territory. I need to know how to navigate through it to reach my destination. So I look for road signs and markers. I look for the signs that point me in the right direction. How foolish would it be for me to decide that I can drive to a certain destination in a place I have never been before without enquiring of a map, road signs or a person to give me directions. I wouldn't make it to the right place. The problem wouldn't be because I am not a smart person or an educated person. It wouldn't be because I don't know how to drive, that I don't have common sense or that I can't read the signs. The problem would be because it is impossible for me to do it without help. We have to acknowledge the Lord in all our ways for the same reason. It is impossible for us to know what to do without His help. If we could we wouldn't need God... and, boy, do we need Him.

Have a great day. We have to acknowledge the Lord in ALL our ways if we are going to make the right decision.

For further reading:
Proverbs 3:5,6; 14:12; 16:3
Jeremiah 10:23
1 John 4:1
1 Corinthians 2:14

No comments: