Monday, September 1, 2008

"Storms"

"And he arose, and rebuked the wind, and said unto the sea, Peace, be still. And the wind ceased, and there was a great calm." Mark 4:39

For days we have been watching a storm developing- Gustav. As we would watch the weather channel and hear the reports of it's size, status, position and possible threat, it seemed hard to believe that there was a storm anywhere- much less approaching us. Each day for the past several days the weather has been beautiful, filled with sunshine. Yet while it was sunny here, the storm was still brewing.

That's how the storms of life are. You wake up in the morning to "sunny" days- no problem in your relationships, enough money to pay the bills, your health is good, you're walking in peace. There seems to be no evidence that a storm is anywhere nearby. Job was having a "sunny" day, but a storm was brewing and coming to his life. Even though a storm may be brewing in your life, it usually comes upon you suddenly. You don't always have the luxury of advance warning like we have with this hurricane.

Some of you who are reading this are facing storms that have seem to come out of nowhere. Yesterday was a sunny day, you didn't have a care in the world, now all of a sudden you find yourself in the storm of your life. I want to encourage you this morning that the same God who speaks,"Peace be still", to natural storms, who isn't taken by surprise by them but sees them coming, who is greater than the storms, the one who even the winds and the waves obey and they bow at His name, is the same one who speaks,"Peace be still" to the storms of life. There's an old song that just came to mind- "He will calm the troubled waters of your soul, Take your broken heart and make it whole, When the storms of this life are dark and cold,He will calm the troubled waters of your soul." This brings to mind another song- "Peace Speaker". (I have included the words below.) He sees the storm you are going through. It hasn't taken Him by surprise. He is greater than the storm and able to do something about it- He still speaks, "Peace be still", and won't let it destroy you.

Have a great day. We don't always know if there is a storm brewing in our lives, but we do know the one who can speak peace to it.

PEACE SPEAKER
by Geron Davis

It was such a lovely day
The sun was shining bright
The gentle wind was blowin' my way
Not a storm cloud was in sight
Then, suddenly without warning,
A storm surrounded my life.
But even in the storm I could feel the calm,
And here's the reason why.

Chorus
I know the Peace Speaker,
I know Him by Name
I know the Peace Speaker,
He controls the wind
And the waves.
When He says, "Peace, be still,"
They have to obey.
I know the Peace Speaker,
Yes, I Know Him by Name.

There's never been another man
With the power of this friend,
By simply saying, "Peace be still"
He can calm the strongest wind.
And that's why I never worry
When the storm clouds come my way,
I know that He is near to drive
Away my fears
And I can smile and say:

Repeat chorus
Peace, peace, wonderful peace
Coming down from the FatherAbove.
When He says, " Peace be Still, "
Theyhave to obey.
I'm glad I know the Peace Speaker,
Yes I know Him by Name.I know Him by Name.
I know the Peace Speaker,
Yes, I Know Him by Name.

No comments: