Monday, September 29, 2008

"It's Amazing"

"What is man, that thou art mindful of him? and the son of man, that thou visitest him?" Psalm 8:4

We know that God, because He is God, is more awesome and amazing than we can truly fathom. But this morning I want to tell you what's "THE" most amazing thing about God.

It's not His mighty power or His ability to do the impossible. It's not His great strength. It's not the fact that He can speak into nothing and create everything. It's not the fact that He rides upon the wings of the wind, or uses the earth as a footstool, or causes the small hills to leap and jump at His presence. Neither is it the fact that He calls all the stars in all the galaxies by name. The most amazing thing about God is not that He knows the number of hair on my head and keeps a running total because each day the number changes. It's not because God can see so far ahead into the future that He knows the day of your death before you were even born. The most amazing thing about Him is not His miracle working power. It's not even the fact that He is present everywhere all at the same time.

The most amazing thing about God is the fact that He loves me!!! That is more amazing than anything that He is or does. The fact that God would even notice me, that He would love me, and care for me- I who am made lower than the angels- is more than I can comprehend. I am totally amazed when I think of how sinful, how rebellious, the enemy I was to God, how I fought against Him, how I am the least of the least, wretched man that I am, so undeserving of this wonderful God to even look in my direction, much less love me- yet He does. That is the most amazing thing you will ever realize about God.

The fact that He loves this unlovable person is amazing in and of itself, but that He would go further than that by giving His life for me- it's not only amazing, it's mind boggling! We may never be able to figure it out, we know we certainly don't deserve it, we may never understand it, but God who is Omni, who is the Creator, the King of glory, the True and Living God, the one who is worshipped and adored by all the host of heaven...takes note of me and pushed everything out of the way to reach me with His love.

Have a great day. I have used the word "me" this morning, but it includes "you"- it's amazing that He even wants to have anything to do with us but He does! That's the most amazing thing about God.

No comments: