Monday, September 15, 2008

"His Lovingkindness - Part 2"

"How excellent is thy lovingkindness, O God! therefore the children of men put their trust under the shadow of thy wings." Psalm 36:7

As I went to the scripture that the Lord laid on my heart this morning, I discovered that it talked about God's lovingkindness- that's what Friday's devotional was about. Hummm... I wonder if the Lord is trying to "tell" us something?!

The dictionary defines lovingkindness as: tender kindness motivated by or expressing affection. Listen to some of the definitions for kindness: the quality of being warmhearted and considerate and humane and sympathetic; manifestation of kind feeling or disposition beneficence; forgiving. No wonder He keeps leading me to these verses about His lovingkindness. This is part of His character- who He is.

God's great desire is that we know Him as Savior and Lord, but that we also know His character (His heart). He is loving and kind, forbearing and forgiving, generous and gracious, faithful and trustworthy, our Heavenly Father who loves us so dearly, so deeply and He laid down His life for us to prove His great love.

The more familiar we become with His character the more we know we can trust Him. If I know that He loves me, that He desires to manifest His kindness to me, that He wants to forgive me, that He has strong affections toward me, then it is no problem for me to put myself under His protective "wing". I can trust that He will be a safe place for me and that there is no safer place. Because of who He is, I know I can trust Him.

Have a great day. Because of His lovingkindness toward me, I can put my trust under the shadow of His wings.

No comments: