Tuesday, September 2, 2008

"Change The Subject"

"Therefore I will not refrain my mouth; I will speak in the anguish of my spirit; I will complain in the bitterness of my soul." Job 7:11

As you watch the news you realize that if something wasn't happening- a storm, an election, a murder trial, a custody battle, a war, etc- they wouldn't have anything to talk about. When something does make "news", the reporters "run it in the ground", that is ALL they talk about. It seems as if the world stopped and nothing else is taking place. I noticed this as I watched the weather channel today. Every moment was consumed with Gustav (don't misunderstand, I am thankful for the updates and information they provide, but I am trying to make a point.) I wondered what they would have to talk about if there was no storm?

Sadly, there are a lot of people- even in the church- who are like this. If there isn't something "bad" happening, they don't have anything to talk about. They spend all their time talking about the trouble they are going through, or have been through. It's the only subject that comes out of their mouth. Each time you see them, they repeat it to you.. over and over again. You ask them how they are and they go right back to this same subject. You always know what they are going to say before they say it.

I am not trying to be critical. I know that very real things happen to us. I know that there are times we need to relate what we are going through. I know that sometimes we need a compassionate hear to listen. This is not what I am talking about. What I am talking about is deeper than that. It has become a "security blanket" to them. And even deeper-- it's become a bondage. They reach a point where they can't talk about anything else. If that is you--- it's time to break free. It's time to leave it in the past. It's time to develop a new habit of talking. It's time to change your speaking. It's time to get a new subject. There is so much more to talk about. God desires that our mouths be full of words that edify, minister, comfort and exhort others. It's time to put the law of kindness in your mouth. It's time to fill it with good things. It's time to fill it with words of faith that tend to life. It's time to fill it with words of peace, wisdom and joy. It's time to fill it with praise, adoration and thanksgiving to the Lord. It's time to talk more about the grace, forgiveness, mercy, goodness and faithfulness of God. There are a thousand other things you can fill your mouth with, and it's time to do it.

Have a great day. Is it time to change the subject?

No comments: