Tuesday, August 26, 2008

"Wait Patiently"

"I waited patiently for the LORD; and he inclined unto me, and heard my cry." Psalm 40:1

"I waited patiently for the LORD." That is almost unheard of any more: waiting for the Lord, and waiting patiently for Him. We tend to always be in a hurry. We don't want to wait for anything. We want whatever it is at the moment we want it. This attitude runs over into our prayer life and relationship with the Lord. We tend to treat Him the same way. We don't want Him to make us wait for anything- the answer, the blessings, the provision.

Then when we do wait for Him- allowing Him to move in His time, according to the council of His own wisdom and by His sovereignty- we don't do a very good job of waiting patiently. Most of our impatience comes because we feel the "crunch" of deadlines, the pressure of the situation or the demands of others who want an immediate answer. There are mornings I feel the pressure of "time" to get the devotional out. I know I shouldn't wait too late because of the ones who want to read it before they go to work or school, so when I look at the clock and it's getting late I need Him to answer me then.

Let me remind you, and me, that He knows all about our deadlines, our pressures, our schedules and what time it is. He knows when to give us the answer. We live our lives by a clock- time is always staring us in the face- but He doesn't and isn't moved by the clock. A day to Him is like a thousand years to us, and vice versa. He doesn't even own a clock but His timing is always so perfect.

Stop being so anxious, stop being in such a hurry, stop fretting because it is taking God one minute longer than you want it to take. Learn to wait on the Lord, and learn to wait patiently. Patiently waiting is called "rest", and "rest" is called "trust", and you can trust Him to do anything and everything at just the right time.

Have a great day. Do you wait on the Lord? How do you wait?

No comments: