Wednesday, August 27, 2008

"Little Things"

"This is the day which the LORD hath made; we will rejoice and be glad in it." Psalm 118:24

I have to make the choice today to rejoice. I am not always in control of what comes my way but I am in control of how I respond to it. Am I going to let the "little foxes" spoil the vine today? Am I going to let those "little" things cause me to lose my joy, rob me of peace, get me aggravated and frustrated, make me bitter and angry?

It's not always the "big" things that the enemy sends our way to try to seal, kill and destroy that are harmful- I would recognize it right way and be on guard to resist it. But it's the little things that I don't always so easily detect as part of his plan of destruction for me that can do me more harm. I am talking about that dripping faucet- it doesn't seem like it drips until you lay down to go to sleep. It's that sweet little blessing that you gave birth to that asks you for the thousandth time-- "But Why?" It's the television that your spouse has turned up so loud that you can hear it all over the house. It's that phone call from a telemarketer that rings when you have finally gotten the baby asleep. It's that one little spot on your shirt- it seems to stick out like a sore thumb. Sometimes it's a barking dog, a crying baby, a pebble in your shoe, an ingrown toenail, a paper jam, a spilt glass of milk, a buzzing mosquito.

Accidents happen- milk gets spilt. Mosquitoes are a part of life and when the door is left open they get in the house- and they buzz. Faucets wear out- so they drip. Children are curious- it's part of their growth and development. Doors squeak because hinges are subject to deterioration. It's all part of life, and life is the area that the enemy wants to "hit" you in. When he uses life to try to destroy me- even the smallest aspects of life- I have to determine that I am not going to let it effect me, I am not going to let it rob from me, I am not going to respond to it in the flesh. Instead, I have to determine that I am going to turn it into praise, into a lesson to help me grow spiritually, into something that will bring God glory. When I do, then I can walk in peace, joy and victory because it has not been stolen from me.

Have a great day. Watch out for the little things of life and don't let them "get" you.

No comments: