Friday, August 1, 2008

"Don't Forget"

"But the fearful, and unbelieving, and the abominable, and murderers, and whoremongers, and sorcerers, and idolaters, and all liars, shall have their part in the lake which burneth with fire and brimstone: which is the second death." Revelation 21:8

There is a chorus- part of it- that has been going over and over in my thoughts for a couple of days. It goes: "If it had not been for Jesus, where would I be? I'm so glad that the Lord saved me." If Jesus had not saved me, I know exactly where I would be... and I don't like to think about it. The other day at prayer group I mentioned that I have been thinking about the Lake of Fire and the horror that the souls who wind up there are going to face. One lady said, "I'm not going to be there." I agree, thanks to the mercy of God, and the forgiveness of sins that came through the sacrifice of the Lord Jesus Christ, I'm not going to be there either-- in this I greatly rejoice.

But at the same time, I can't forget about the eternal damnation that those who don't know Christ will face. While I don't like to think about where I would be without Christ's salvation I have to remember least I forget and don't warn the wicked man to turn from his wicked way. We need to remember what it is that we are saved "from" as much as what we are saved "to".

Jesus saved me from my sins. He saved me from the wages of sin- eternal death. He pardoned my transgressions and forgave my iniquities. He took the sentence of death for me so that I could receive a full pardon. When the day comes that all men will stand before God, I don't have to fear that I'll hear the words, "Depart, from Me, I never knew you". My hope and confidence on that day will be in the atoning blood of Jesus- the sacrificial Lamb who takes away the sins of the world. He saved me from the punishment-- eternal separation from God, eternal torment in a lake of fire that will never, never be quenched and has no way of escape. He has saved me from my appointment with the wrath of God.

Have you forgotten? Have you forgotten what He saved you from and where you were headed? Have you forgotten that those who don't know Him as Savior are still heading there? Have you forgotten that if they aren't warned to turn then they will not escape eternal death and damnation? Have you forgotten that it's your job to warn them to flee from the wrath to come, to get right with God, to confess their sins and turn to God in repentance? I can never forget what the Lord did for me when He saved my soul- I am eternally grateful. But I can't forget either that there are still souls heading to a place of eternal torment if they aren't warned to turn. If I am as truly grateful for my salvation, as I say I am, then I won't forget to warn them so that they can enjoy the peace that comes from knowing it is well with your soul.

Have a great day. Don't forget about what awaits those who don't turn to Christ for salvation.

No comments: