Monday, August 18, 2008

"A Good Mood"

"...when I awake, I am still with thee." Psalm 139:18b

Let me brag on my seven month old grand baby for a moment. She is such a good and happy baby. When she wakes up in the morning or from a nap, she is always in the best mood. You won't even know she's awake until you hear her cooing, "talking" to herself or giggling. When you peek a look at her and she spots you, she will smile at you from ear to ear. She spent the night with me last night and I happened to be in the bedroom when she woke up- it was no different, she woke up this morning just as I described. I immediately thought,"Why can't we wake up in such a happy mood--- especially if we are Christians?"

If you are a Christian, what kind of mood do you wake up in? It's understandable that a person who does not know Christ would wake up in a grumpy, irritated, mad, depressed, hateful, fearful, worried, anxious mood-- but it's not understandable for a Christian who wakes up in any of these moods. If I have Christ living in my heart, I should wake up with a smile on my face, joy in my heart, peace of mind, and in a good mood.

I know we aren't like little babies who have no pressures, no problems, who don't have to work for a living, who don't encounter mean nasty people, who don't have to deal with all the trials and temptations we face, or have to put up with the cares of the life. But just because we face "life" is no excuse for us not to wake up "happy"- with peace and joy and in a good mood.

It may sound "super spiritual" or "unrealistic" but we can (and should) wake up in a good mood because God has a solution for everything that would try to rob us of this part of abundant life-- it's found in His word and presence.
Are you burdened with cares? "Casting all your care upon him; for he careth for you." (1 Peter 5:7)
Are you in need? "But my God shall supply all your need according to his riches in glory by Christ Jesus." (Philippians 4:19)
Are you struggling? In the valley of decision? Needing guidance or direction? "Trust in the Lord with all thine heart; and lean not unto thine own understanding. In all thy ways acknowledge him, and he shall direct thy paths." (Proverbs 3:5,6)
Are you having to deal with wicked, unkind people? "My grace is sufficient for thee: for my strength is made perfect in weakness." (2 Cor. 12:9ff)

Do you see why I said that we can wake up in a good mood everyday no matter what is going on in or around us? If our trust and faith is in God, then we know that His eye is on the sparrow and we are of much more value than a sparrow. We know He doesn't leave us nor forsake us. He knows what we have need of even before we ask and He provides it. He gives us our daily bread. He equips us with powerful weapons to defeat the enemy. He loves us with an everlasting love. He did not spare His own Son for us and will give us freely all things through Christ. God is in control so nothing will happen today that He can't handle. Knowing this causes me to rejoice and gives me a peace that passes understanding, therefore, I can wake up in a good (great) mood.

Have a great day. If you are a Christian, why are you waking up in a "bad" (wrong) mood when God provides everything you need?

No comments: