Friday, September 30, 2022

"Name Dropping"

"And whatsoever ye shall ask in my name, that will I do, that the Father may be glorified in the Son." John 14:13 

Name dropping is a term that is used when someone mentions knowing, or being associated with, someone else who is popular, famous or of status. It is usually done in hopes of making the one doing it seem important. It can also be used to identify people with a common bond. Name dropping has been used to help one gain access into a particular place- "just tell them so-and-so sent you". It has been used to help others gain an audience before authorities. 
 
As I was in prayer the other day I thought about this "name dropping" because when I approach the Heavenly Father, I always do so in the "Name of Jesus". That name gives me "clout" with the Father. It also gives me access into His Presence. It allows me to capture His ear and gives me His attention. 
 
When I "drop/speak" His Name into my situation, it changes. When I speak His name, demons flee, sickness and disease are healed, chains are broken, captives are set free, confusion vanishes. His Name quenches the fire, shuts the mouths of lions, delivers from the pit, turns night into day, calms the raging sea, stops the storm. His Name gives rest to the weary, seed to the sower, help in time of trouble, strength in weakness, grace that is sufficient. It brings wisdom, blessings, peace, joy, salvation and abundant life. 
 
Some try to "drop/use" His Name as if they know Him. There were seven sons of Sceva who tried to use Jesus' Name in casting out an evil spirit. It didn't work. The evil spirit jumped on them and beat them up because they didn't know the One whose name they were using, and the evil spirit knew they didn't know Him/Jesus. But for those of us who know Jesus personally as Savior and Lord that is not the case. We have the right to "drop" His Name. We are His children, heirs and joint-heirs and are identified with Him.
 
Have a great day. Every born-again child of God has the right to do some "name dropping" (the Name of Jesus) when we approach the Heavenly Father and face life's trials.
 
For further reading:
Ephesians 2:9
Acts 19:13-16
Matthew 18:20
Mark 16:17
John 14:14; 15:16; 16:23-26

No comments: