Monday, July 19, 2021

"Hold On To What Matters"

"Behold, I come quickly: hold that fast which thou hast, that no man take thy crown." Revelation 3:11

"That no man take thy crown." Is that possible? Evidently, it is or there wouldn't be this warning in the verse. The next question then is, "How is it possible?". There are two ways that come to mind: carelessness and distraction.

When you forget the value of something, you can become careless with it. This happens with material possessions, it happens with relationships and it can happen with spiritual things in our lives. When we forget just how valuable what we have is, we often begin to take it for granted. When it is taken for granted, we don't show it the same care that we once did and we often begin to neglect it. Are you neglecting so great a salvation this morning? Have you forgotten just how precious your salvation is? Have you become "careless" with it forgetting how much it cost for you to be able to have it?

The second way is through distractions. I remember when my daughter was a little girl, not three years old yet. I took her to the local fair to ride the rides. I stopped by the concession stand to get us something to drink. She was standing beside me and I turned to place my order, in that brief second while I was putting my attention on making the order, she walked off from my side. That brief moment of "distraction" from her could have caused me to lose the most valuable thing to me on earth. What temporary thing is distracting you from that which is eternal? What is captivating your attention so that it is placed on something besides eternal riches? Where is your focus- on things above or things below?

I am so thankful for all the blessings the Lord has bestowed upon me- especially the eternal ones. And I am thankful that He loves me enough to warn me to hold on to those blessings. Hold on to what you have, don't be careless with it by forgetting just how precious and valuable it is. Hold on to what you have, don't allow anything to distract you to the point where it is taken away from you.

Have a great day. Don't let anything distract you to the point where you are careless with the things that matter most.

For further reading:
Matthew 16:26; 6:19,20
1 Corinthians 6:20
1 Peter 1:18,19
Hebrews 2:3

No comments: