Monday, November 23, 2020

"Emotions"

"Emotions"

"Casting down imaginations, and every high thing that exalteth itself against the knowledge of God, and bringing into captivity every thought to the obedience of Christ." 2 Corinthians 10:5

I was talking with someone on the phone yesterday and when we hung up, I felt like I wanted to cry. The person didn't say anything mean to me, but what they said and the attitude in which they said it triggered something in me that was hurt. I knew that these feelings I was having was something I shouldn't entertain so I immediately went to prayer. What I was feeling was "self pity" so I needed to take authority over it so that it not "take over" me and cause me to act that day in a way that would be un-Christ like. So I went to prayer. I started praying against what I was feeling- binding and loosening everything I could think of, committing it to God, putting on the armor and capturing my thoughts. I then got victory and was able to move on.

The whole reason why I shared this is because before I got up from prayer the Lord spoke a word to me. I want to share it with you. He said, "Don't let your thoughts manipulate your emotions". The dictionary defines manipulate as: to manage or influence skillfully; to negotiate, control, or influence. What I was feeling was the emotion of self pity. What happened was when I heard what the other person was saying, my mind begin to conjure up some thoughts- why did they say that, why did they talk to me like that, what did I do wrong, I was only trying to help, etc. Those thoughts didn't just come to me, but they began to manipulate (influence- hoping to control) the way I felt.

Your thoughts are powerful. They do trigger your emotions. If you don't think so, why is it then when you think happy thoughts you start feeling joy and when you think sad thoughts you get sad, or when you think about how someone did you wrong you get angry. Your thoughts manipulated your emotions- the way you feel.

This is why the Bible has so much to say about our thoughts. They are powerful and they will manipulate the way you feel if you let them. When your thoughts lead to anger, self pity, fear, envy, anxiety, guilt, jealousy, etc. (these are all emotions), you need to capture those thoughts and cast them down. Refuse to entertain them. Don't allow them to stay. Renew your mind with God's word. Submit yourself to God. If you don't you will live on an emotional roller coaster.

Have a great day. "Don't let your thoughts manipulate your emotions."

For further reading:
Romans 12:2
Hebrews 4:12
Ephesians 6:10-17
2 Timothy 1:7

No comments: