Friday, April 5, 2019

"Two Voices"

"Though he fall, he shall not be utterly cast down: for the Lord upholdeth him with his hand." Psalm 37:24

When babies first start learning to walk, they do a lot of falling down.  When my grandbaby was first learning to walk, she wasn't walking very well, she was spending a lot of time falling down. Each time she would fall, I would clap and laugh and act like it was a great accomplishment. As a result, she would get right on up with a great big smile on her face and take off walking again- she didn't lay there and cry, or wait for you to pick her up and she didn't give up.

Do every feel like that baby learning to walk? Do you ever feel like you spend more time falling down than you do walking? Do you ever feel like for every step you take forward you take two steps back? Do you feel like you make one step then trip and fall on the second step? Honestly, I have felt like that. I still feel like that some times. Some days it's just so hard to get my "land legs". Some days my footing isn't very secure. Some times I feel like I am always falling flat on my face.

When I do wind up "on the ground- flat on my face", I hear two voices speaking to me. One is the voice of enemy who spews out his lies, accusations and condemnations at me. He tells me that I will never "get it right". He tells me I am a failure. He tells me I need to just give up. He encourages me to stay down and not try again. He tells me to lay there and feel sorry for myself and wallow in my pain, hurt and inability. He tries to heap guilt on me.

Then there is the other voice. It is the voice of my Father who tells me that it will be all right. Who tells me to get up and try again. Who tells me "you can do it". Who does for me what I did for my grandbaby. He cheers me on. He tells me I will succeed. He reaches for me, helps me up, stands me back on my feet, dusts me off and sends me on my way. He tells me He still loves me.

I know the same two voices come to you also when you fall. The question is which one are you going to listen to? Are you going to listen to the enemy and lay there and give up? Or are you going to listen to the voice of your loving heavenly Father cheering you on?

Have a great day. The voice you listen to will determine whether you stay down in defeat or get up and walk in victory.

No comments: