Friday, June 15, 2018

"Mirror, Mirror"

"But whoso looketh into the perfect law of liberty, and continueth therein, he being not a forgetful hearer, but a doer of the work, this man shall be blessed in his deed." James 1:25

When I look into a mirror, it shows me the blemishes, wrinkles, imperfections or dirt that I have on my face. The word of God is like a mirror. When I look into it, it shows me what I really look like. It shows me the "spiritual" imperfections. It shows me how wicked my own heart is. It shows me my rebellion. It shows me the "wrinkles" of pride, selfishness, unforgiveness. But unlike the mirror hanging on my wall, not only does God's word show me what I look like, it also shows me how to correct it. It gives me the solution to correcting my "appearance".

When I apply the word of God to my life, it's a cleansing agent to clean away the dirt of sin. "That he might sanctify and cleanse it with the washing of water by the word." (Ephesians 5:26) It clears up the blemishes, it removes the wrinkles, it takes care of the imperfections. God is so wonderful-- He shows us our problem and He also gives us our solution, and they are both found in His word.

When you look into the word and see these spiritual blemishes, don't just turn away from the mirror and forget about it. Do something about it. Search the scriptures to find out how to correct it. If I go to my mirror and see that I have a big black smudge across my cheek, I am not going to walk away and do nothing about removing it. I am going to get soap and water or some sort of cleanser and wash it until it's removed. Why aren't we more concerned about making sure our spiritual appearance is perfect too. After all, it's more important.

Have a great. We need to look in the mirror of God's word everyday, and then do something about what we see.

No comments: