Wednesday, June 20, 2018

"John's Response And Mine"

"But none of these things move me, neither count I my life dear unto myself, so that I might finish my course with joy, and the ministry, which I have received of the Lord Jesus, to testify the gospel of the grace of God." Acts 20:24

In reading the Book of Revelation, have you ever just stopped in the first chapter to look at John- the one who received the revelation? "I John, who also am your brother, and companion in tribulation, and in the kingdom and patience of Jesus Christ, was in the isle that is called Patmos, for the word of God, and for the testimony of Jesus Christ. I was in the Spirit on the Lord's day, and heard behind me a great voice, as of a trumpet." (Rev. 1:9,10) He was in exile on an island that was a place for prisoners. He was there because he preached the gospel. According to church tradition, they tried to kill John by boiling him in oil. He didn't die so they sentenced him to a life of exile. So here he is, in exile, away from family and friends, away from his church and other Christians to encourage him, in a body racked with pain, an apostle innocent of any crimes. How much is that for one man to endure!

What I wanted you to notice about John was that he was "in the Spirit on the Lord's day". After all he had gone through for Christ's sake, he was still honoring the Lord's day. He was still seeking the Lord, acknowledging Him, praying to Him, giving Him praise, worshipping in the spirit. How unlike most of us is that? If what John had gone through had happened to us, most of us would have turned our backs on God. Most of us would have gotten angry at God. Most of us would have cursed God for letting such a thing happen to us instead of continuing to give Him our devotion like John did.

I am sure none of us have ever gone through the sufferings for the Savior that John did-- although, many of us have gone through some horrific situations-- but if we did, would our response to God be the same as his? Would we be able to say, "Though He slay me yet I trust Him." Would we still be found honoring the Lord? Would we still be found in church at service time? Would we still sing songs of praise and adoration to Him? Would we still have a desire to glorify Him? Would we still press into His presence until we reached His throne? Would He still be the desire of our hearts and the love of our life? Just what would our response be??

Have a great day. How do you feel about God when you go through difficulties?

No comments: