Thursday, April 12, 2018

"Blessed Redeemer"

"For God sent not his Son into the world to condemn the world; but that the world through him might be saved."  John 3:17
 
As I was getting out of bed this morning, an old hymn began to play in my thoughts.  I haven't heard it in years so I had to look up the words.  It is the song, "Blessed Redeemer".  The lyrics are below. 
 
As I read the lyrics, I was reminded that God did not send His Son into the world to condemn us, but to save us.  While Jesus was hanging on the cross in agony, in pain, in shame, falsely accused, innocent of any charge, bleeding, unable to breath, enduring the slander and mocking of the crowd, listening to the reproach of sinners, hanging by nails in His hands and feet, dying a cruel and horrible death, He never once lashed out in condemnation.  Never once did we hear Him make accusations against His accusers.  Never once did He threaten anyone for His treatment, make revengeful statement or promises to "get back" and "get even".  He could have called angels to deliver Him and destroy all those who were standing there.  But He didn't.  All we heard from Him was words of love, compassion, care and forgiveness. 
 
Jesus has never, even when dying on the cross, condemned us.  Our sins did.  Satan, the accuser, did.  Other people have.  But Jesus didn't come to do that.  He came to die.  He came to give His life as a ransom for our sins.  He came to bring us hope, freedom, deliverance, salvation, restoration and eternal life.  Had His reason and mission for coming been to condemn us, He never would have died on the cross.  He never would have hung there "wounded and bleeding, for sinners pleading". 
 
Have a great day.  Jesus is our Blessed Redeemer, not our accuser.   
 
"Blessed Redeemer"
Up Calvary's mountain one dreadful morn
Walked Christ my Savior, weary and worn
Facing for sinners death on the cross
That He might save them from endless loss

Blessed Redeemer, precious Redeemer
Seems now I see Him on Calvary's tree
Wounded and bleeding, for sinners pleading
Blind and unheeding, dying for me

'Father, forgive them,' my Savior prayed
Even while His lifeblood flowed fast away
Praying for sinners while in such woe
No one but Jesus ever loved so

Dying for me

Oh how I love Him, Savior and friend
How can my praises ever find end
Through years unnumbered on Heaven's shore
My songs shall praise Him forevermore

No comments: