Monday, February 12, 2018

"Obey, Don't Harden Your Heart"

"While it is said, To day if ye will hear his voice, harden not your hearts, as in the provocation."  Hebrews 3:15
 
We say we want to hear from the Lord.  We want Him to talk to us.  We want to know what His will is.  We want to hear His voice giving us guidance, direction, instruction and reassurance.  But do we really?  The test of knowing whether we really do or not is what we do with it when He does.  When He speaks, do we listen?  I am sure we do.  But listening is not the true test, and it is not the problem.  The real question is... do we obey? 
 
When I was growing up and my parents would tell me something to do, I would hear their voice, I would hear their words, I would hear what they said, there was no misunderstanding about what they said, there was no confusion, but I didn't always do what they said.  The problem was not in what they said or my ability to comprehend what they said, the problem was in my obedience or lack of obedience to what they said. 

When my parents told me what to do and I didn't, I didn't get away with my disobedience or rebellion.  I did it, but I faced the consequences of my disobedience and delayed compliance.  The consequence was usually some punishment.  The punishment prompted me to do what I should and obey. 
 
The Lord speaks to us and gives us commands and we can either obey or disobey.  If we obey it goes well with us.  If we don't, it doesn't.  If we choose to disobey, we will face the consequences.  We will face the chastening of the Lord.  If you have been disobedient to what the Lord has spoken to you, then don't harden your heart and continue in rebellion.  Humble yourself and repent.  If you are under the chastening of the Lord because of your disobedience, don't lose heart.  Remember this-- whom the Lord loves, He chastens-- corrects and punishes.  He does this not to destroy you or because He is mad at you.  He does it for your benefit-- "No discipline is enjoyable while it is happening--it's painful! But afterward there will be a peaceful harvest of right living for those who are trained in this way" (Hebrews 12:11)-- and out of love.  So let it prompt you to obedience and do what He tells you to do.
 
Have a great day.  Listen to what the Lord is telling you and don't harden your heart.   

No comments: