Thursday, October 5, 2017

"Not Brave Enough"

"The fear of man bringeth a snare: but whoso putteth his trust in the LORD shall be safe."  Proverbs 29:25

My hairstyle is a little on the "edgy" side.  Now I have added purple to it, so it really seems "radical".  There have been many times I have had women come up to me and tell me they like my hair and wish they were brave enough to do their hair like mine.

I have discovered something, the reason they aren't brave enough has to do with other people, not with themselves.  They aren't brave enough because they are worried about other people's reactions.  Will they like it?  Will they hate it?  Will they make fun of me?  Will they criticize?  What will they think or say about it?

This is the same reason many people don't come to Christ Jesus.  They aren't "brave" enough to surrender their lives to Him.  (I have had them tell me this.)  The same reason why some people can't make what we consider "radical" changes in their lives is the same reason they won't turn their lives over to Jesus for salvation.  They are worried, afraid and concerned about what someone may think or say about them.

This attitude is pride.  It is also fear.  We let pride hold us back.  We let the fear of people's opinions hold us back.  We let fear that we won't have their approval hold us back.  It is time we stopped.  When it comes to surrender to Christ Jesus, we aren't talking about something as trivial as hair.  It will grow out.  Its style can be changed.  We are talking about the state of our eternal soul.  What does a man profit if he gains the whole world and loses his soul?  What does it profit you if you gain the approval of others, if their opinions are favorable, if they accept you but you lose your soul?  It profits nothing.  Instead, you lose everything. 

Lay aside pride.  Lay aside fear.  When I got my hair done, I had to "jump right in" and just do it.  Had I not, I could have talked myself out of it.  I could have let my thoughts make me change my mind.  It is the same with coming to Christ Jesus for salvation.  You have to just "jump in" and do it.

Have a great day.  The reason we aren't "brave" enough is because of pride and fear of what others may think. 

No comments: