Monday, December 12, 2011

"Family Resemblance"

"And as we have borne the image of the earthy, we shall also bear the image of the heavenly." 1 Corinthians 15:49

It's not very often that I get to spend much time with my sister, but we were able to spend the whole day together just the two of us this weekend. Each time we have been together for any length of time and are out among the public, I have noticed that we are much more alike than I thought we were. We both have some of the same mannerisms. We interact with other people the same way. We have some of the same characteristics. We think alike, act alike and conduct ourselves in certain situations the same way- even though in many ways we are uniquely different.

While my sister and I don't look alike at all, we do tend to act alike. The reason is obvious-- we are family. I was thinking about this yesterday and the Lord spoke to me about family resemblance. As a part of God's family there should be some family resemblance that I have with my Big Brother (Jesus). I should have the same character and mannerisms that He has- love, grace, peace, joy. I should interact with others the way He does- with concern, compassion, mercy, patience.

The reason these same characteristics are evident in my sister and I is because we have the same daddy and mama. Jesus and I have the same Father- I am God's child. Therefore, I should be acting like Him. It should be said of me- "when you have seen me, you have seen the Father" (just as Jesus said). I am not saying that when you see me, you see deity and you don't see a "little god", but you should see His nature alive in me- the Fruit of the Spirit.

Another reason for the resemblance in our mannerisms is because my sister and I both grew up in the same house together- we both got our training, upbringing and influence from the same place. While Jesus was on the earth He was trained in "God's word" and communed with the Father through prayer. I am being trained in "God's word" also, and I have the same communion with the Father that Jesus did- if I am spending time with the Father in prayer. So, like my sister and I both grew up under the same influence, Jesus (while He was on earth) and I are under the same influence- God's word and His Holy Spirit. This means there should be a family resemblance between us.

Is there a family resemblance between you and Jesus? Do you "look" like the Father in your mannerisms, in the way you conduct yourself, in the way you deal with others? Do other people know that you are part of the family of God by the way you act and speak?

Have a great day. What kind of family resemblance do you bear with your Big Brother Jesus?

For further reading:
John 14:7-9; 1:12
2 Corinthians 3:18
Ephesians 5:1

<>< <>< <>< <>< <>< <>< <>< <>< <>< <>< <><
Coffee Break is a morning devotional written by Lorraine Ezell
and is sent to you free of charge for the asking from
About the Master's Business Ministry, Inc.
Please feel free to
call (601) 833-5278 or
Email: mastersbusiness@bellsouth.net
Visit us on the web: www.mastersbusiness.org

You are welcomed to make copies and distribute them free of charge.
You may also forward them via e-mail or post them to your website - leaving the whole message in tact unless permission is granted to do otherwise. Please remember to give credit to About the Master's Business Ministry.

No comments: