Wednesday, August 10, 2011

"Dead Bug"

"Behold, I give unto you power to tread on serpents and scorpions, and over all the power of the enemy: and nothing shall by any means hurt you." Luke 10:19

When I came into my office yesterday morning, I was greeted by a big flying insect. It reminded me of a wasp as it swooped past me. I grabbed a tablet and hit it intending to kill it- but didn't. It flew and landed again, so I hit it again- I still didn't kill it. Every time it flew past me I would hit it; every time it landed I would hit it but it would get up and fly away each time. I finally left it alone and sat down at the computer, but it would fly past me so the "chase" was on again. I made a dozen attempts to kill that pest, but each time I thought that surely it had to be dead I would remove the tablet and it would fly away. It was almost ridiculous that I was not able to kill this bug and it would not die. Finally, as I was getting ready to make another attempt to kill it, I heard these words come out of my mouth,"This is not right, I have dominion over you. You will die in the Name of Jesus." Guess what? I hit it again and it died!

I told you this story because as it was going on it reminded me of besetting sins that we often deal with. They may seem small and that we should be able to easily overcome them yet we can't. Every time we think that we have victory over it, there it is again - "alive and well". Does this sound familiar? Have you struggled or fought with something and thought you had finally defeated it only to see it "get up and continue to 'fly around'"? Have you thought that you had victory over anger, or bitterness, or a temper, or jealousy, or pain a situation had caused you, or any number of other things that "harass" you, only to discover that it is still there?

It may have sounded odd for me to talk to a bug and remind it that I have dominion over it and it was going to die. But it was mostly a reminder to me- and now a reminder to you- that I do have victory through Jesus over besetting sins, over those things that the enemy tries to entangle my life with, over those things that try to steal my peace and joy, and that try to have dominion over me and make me its captive. Jesus brought salvation, healing and deliverance at the cross. We can walk in victory and freedom over those sins that want to continue to "hang around". They have to go in His Name. You have been made free- free indeed. You have been given power and authority over these things. Sometimes we just have to remind ourselves that Jesus already gave us the victory- "in all things we are more than conquerors"- and that we need to take authority in His Name over them.

Have a great day. Stop letting that sin/thing "harass" you, there is victory over it. Jesus has given you the victory.

For further reading:
Romans 8:37
1 John 4:4; 5:4
John 8:36
Hebrews 12:1
Philippians 4:13
2 Corinthians 2:14
1 Corinthians 15:57

<>< <>< <>< <>< <>< <>< <>< <>< <>< <>< <><


Coffee Break is a morning devotional written by Lorraine Ezell
and is sent to you free of charge for the asking from
About the Master's Business Ministry, Inc.
Please feel free to
call (601) 833-5278 or
Email: mastersbusiness@bellsouth.net
Visit us on the web: www.mastersbusiness.org

If you would like to subscribe to the Coffee Break mailing list, visit our website and on the Coffee Break page you will find a submision form.

You are welcomed to make copies and distribute them free of charge.
You may also forward them via e-mail or post them to your website - leaving the whole message in tact unless permission is granted to do otherwise. Please remember to give credit to About the Master's Business Ministry






No comments: