Monday, June 27, 2011

"Fragrant Encounter"

"For we are unto God a sweet savour of Christ, in them that are saved, and in them that perish." 2 Corinthians 2:15

I was at the store yesterday and picked up a bottle of oil that you use to make your home smell good. When I picked up the bottle, some of the oil had been spilled on the outside of the bottle. It was a cinnamon fragrance and was now on my hands. I got out a tissue and tried to wipe it off my hands. The fragrance was so strong that it got on everything I touched- the tissue, the shopping cart, my purse, etc. I made my way to the restroom and washed my hands- but the fragrance was still lingering.

After I finished getting my items I went to the checkout. I placed the items one by one on the register. When the lady who was checking me out got to my bag of potatoes, she told me, "For some reason your potatoes smell good. I have never smelled potatoes like that before". I wasn't sure what she was talking about. They didn't smell any different to me. Then it dawned on me, so I asked her, "Do they smell like cinnamon?" She said, "Yes, they do." So I explained to her about my encounter with the bottle of fragrant oil.

Did you know that Jesus has a fragrance? It is the fragrance of love, joy, peace, etc. (He smells like the Fruit of the Spirit). When we spend time in His presence, we will have an encounter with Him. During that encounter, His "fragrance" will rub off on us. So that when we leave our prayer and worship time, others should be able to "smell" His fragrance on us. They should be able to detect an "aroma" on us that "smells" like Him and causes them to "take note that we have been with Jesus". (Acts 4:13)

Do others "smell" something different from your life? The checkout lady noticed that the bag of potatoes didn't smell like potatoes. Others should notice in our lives that we don't "smell" like "sinful, self-centered flesh" (which is what we are without Jesus). They should say that there is something "different" about us, and that difference is the sweet smell of Jesus. Not only should we have His fragrance on us, but it should rub off on the lives of those that we come in contact with so that they will no longer smell like "flesh" but like Him instead?

Have a great day. Our lives should have the fragrance of Jesus on them.

For further reading:
Galatians 5:22,23
2 Corinthians 2:14-16
Ephesians 5:2

<>< <>< <>< <>< <>< <>< <>< <>< <>< <>< <><

Coffee Break is a morning devotional written by Lorraine Ezell
and is sent to you free of charge for the asking from
About the Master's Business Ministry, Inc.
Please feel free to
call (601) 833-5278 or
Email: mastersbusiness@bellsouth.net
Visit us on the web: www.mastersbusiness.org

You are welcomed to make copies and distribute them free of charge.
You may also forward them via e-mail or post them to your website - leaving the whole message in tact unless permission is granted to do otherwise. Please remember to give credit to About the Master's Business Ministry.

No comments: