Monday, March 22, 2010

"Not Separated"

"Wherefore the Lord said, Forasmuch as this people draw near me with their mouth, and with their lips do honour me, but have removed their heart far from me, and their fear toward me is taught by the precept of men." Isaiah 29:13


What I am about to say is not political, but I do have to say it to make my point. I was watching the news the other day and one of the senators was asked about a particular issue that was to be voted on that he was in agreement with. The news anchor asked him about his faith/religion and how because of his faith could he be in agreement. His comment was that when he is conducting his duty as a senator he does so under the guidelines of "separation of church and state". Therefore, he can have a certain religious belief under his faith and a different action to perform his job. In short, he was saying that the two are separate and have nothing to do with each other.

I brought this up because there needs to be some clarification concerning a person's faith and what he does. There is no separation of what you believe and what you do. What you do is determined by your values that are shaped by your faith. You can't check your faith in at the door like you do your coat. It is not something that you "take off" and "put on" depending on the situation. Your faith is who you are. I cannot separate myself from being who I am. I am a Caucasian female seven days a week, twenty-four hours a day- all the time- and everywhere I go. The same applies to my faith in Christ. I am a Christian everywhere I go and all the time.

This is what has happened in the church. This is why we aren't the light and salt in this world that Jesus said we were to be. We act one way in church and another way everywhere else. We have tried to separate our Christianity from other areas in our lives--- you can't do it. I am a Christian no matter where I am, who I am with, what the situation is, regardless of whether it is popular or not. I am a Christian whether I am at home, on my job, on the playing field, at the grocery store, in church, etc.

If you are a Christ, it goes much deeper than your surroundings. It goes much deeper than your physical location. It goes much deeper than just your church affiliation. Your faith is "encoded on your 'spiritual DNA'". It is who you are. And that is something you cannot separate yourself from. The only way to do so is if you choose to go against it.

Have a great day. If you are truly a Christian, then you are a Christian everywhere you go all the time. You can't separate who you are from what you do.

For further reading:
Matthew 5:14
James 2:20
Mark 8:33,34
Acts 17:28
1 John 4:17

No comments: