Wednesday, January 20, 2010

"Mending What's Broken- Part 3"

"She said, No man, Lord. And Jesus said unto her, Neither do I condemn thee: go, and sin no more." John 8:11

Continuing on the subject of "broken things". I told you yesterday about a little tea cup which belongs to my mother in law that is at my house awaiting repair after my granddaughter broke it. When something gets broken, I either try to put it back together again or just discard it. When the tea cup got broke, I would have thrown it away and not given any more thought to it. But my mother in law wants to repair it. Evidently, it means something to her and she believes that it can be "saved".

We tend to do this with people. We look at them and are ready to "throw them away". We are quick to give up on people. We would have given up on the prodigal son. We would have given up on the prostitute that was caught in the act of adultery. We would have given up on Peter. We tend to look at people's lives and say, "There is no hope". We look at the drug addict or alcohol, the rebellious child, the criminal and say, "They will never change. What's the use?"

I am so glad that God doesn't look at us the same way. I am sure that many people thought that I was hopeless. I know that people had given up on me. I know that they thought I would never change. I know that I was broken and ready to be thrown on the trash heap. But you know, even though people wanted to "throw me away" because they didn't see any value in my life or anything worth trying to save, God didn't throw me away. Instead He saw my value and worth when no one else did. Then He provided the "glue" that it would take to put me back together again. That "glue" was the shed blood of His Dear Son Jesus. It has been said, you determine the value of something by the price that one is willing to pay for it. God paid the highest price possible, the life of His Son, because that was the value that He put on our lives.

I am of the firm belief that as long as there is breath in a person there is hope. And as long as there is hope we shouldn't give up on people. We shouldn't discard them and give up on them- God hasn't.

Have a great day. We tend to want to throw away things that are valuable to God.

For further reading:
Matthew 14:30
Luke 15:11-24
John 8:1-11
1 Corinthians 6:19,20
Romans 5:8

No comments: